This one is a authentic dish from Syria/Lebanon. And I might say, a complete, healthy dish, and most important, tastes good too!
12 eggplants, from 3 to 4 inches long, stemmed
3/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 lb ground beef
1/2 cup rice, rinsed
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 cup pine nuts
1. Core the eggplants with a sharp knife or, better yet, with an eggplant corer (found in Middle Eastern stores), making sure not to break the skins.
2. In a frying pan, heat 1/2 cup of the oil and fry the eggplants over a medium heat until all sides are cooked, then remove and place in a strainer to drain and cool.
3. Using the same oil, saute onion and garlic over a medium heat for few minutes. Stir in the meat, rice, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, and oregano and stir-fry until the meat turned light brown. Remove and allow to cool.
4. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in another frying pan, add the pine nuts and stir-fry over a medium heat until they turn golden brown. Remove and drain.
5. Make a filling by mixing the pine nuts with the meat mixture. Stuff the eggplant skins then set aside.
6. Prepare the yoghurt sauce. Place the stuffed eggplants over the yoghurt then simmer uncovered over very low heat for 15-20 minutes. Serve while hot.
* You can sprinkle grated cheese on top for a more creamier taste… yummmm!