2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) / butter
2 cups broken vermicelli
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp husked split black gram
2 green chillies, slit
1 sprig curry leaves
2 cups warm water
4 tbsp grated coconut
salt to taste
200 grams beef strips, an inch-size (optional)
1. Heat half of the ghee (clarified butter) in a pan. Fry the beef strips until cooked then set aside. Also fry the vermicelli, stirring continuously to a golden color on medium / low level for about 2 minutes. Keep aside.
2. Heat the remaining ghee (clarified butter) in a pan. Toss in the mustard seeds followed by the black gram.
3. Stir fry on medium level for about 2 minute(s) or till the mustard seeds splutter fully and the gram is red in color.
4. Toss in the green chillies, curry leaves and fry briefly.
5. Add the warm water along with salt to taste and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and add the vermicelli and fried beef strips. Cover and cook while stirring often on low-medium level for about 3 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and the vermicelli is well cooked.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the grated coconut.
8. Serve hot with Coconut Chutney (Nariyal Chutney)