1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
1. Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.
2. Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.
3. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour. Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.
5. Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.
6. Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
7. Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 5-7 minutes).
8. Serve hot with hummus/tahini or as a main course: stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, tahini, salt and pepper.If you prefer a burger, instead of forming rounded falafel, try to flatten a little bit just like burger patties, and arrange like an ordinary burgers.