1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp grated garlic
4 green chillies chopped fine
1 onion chopped fine
4 cups steamed mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, peas, potatoes, cauliflower, beetroot)
½ tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 cups bengal gram flour (chickpea flour or besan)
½ cup rice flour
½ tsp red chilli powder
a pinch of soda bi-carbonate and asafoetida powder
salt to taste
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Heat the oil in a pan and dd the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
2. Add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and onions. Fry on low-medium heat for about two minutes or till the onions are transparent.
3. Add the steamed vegetables, half the turmeric powder and salt to taste.
4. Mix well whilst mashing with the back of the ladle on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
5. Put off the flame and let cool. Mix in the coriander leaves and lemon juice. Make lemon-sized balls.
6. To make the batter, mix together the gramflour, rice flour, red chilli powder, remaining turmeric powder, soda bicarbonate, asafoetida powder and salt to taste with water just enough to make a thick batter.
7. Dip each ball in the batter and deep fry in hot oil in batches on medium flame till light golden brown in color. Remove onto a paper towel.