1 head iceberg lettuce
130 g egg noodles, Chinese style (or chow mein noodles)
2 tbsp canola oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into tiny strips
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 yellow pepper, finely chopped
1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
250 g sliced water chestnuts, slivered
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, slivered, matchstick
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp brown sugar
5 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp chili sauce
2 scallions, slivered
1. Separate lettuce leaves and wash thoroughly.
2. Heat canola oil in a wok, on medium high heat, and after a minute, add noodles and separate them carefully . Cook for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the level of crispiness desired.
3. Prepare (chop) your chicken and vegetables as you wait.
4. Once the noodles are done, remove and set aside.
5. If desired, pour 1 tsp of oil in the same wok before you saute the garlic. Do this for about 30 seconds. Garlic can burn quickly so do not leave it too long.
6. Add chicken, stir fry until no longer pink.
7. Add onion, peppers, chestnuts, and mushrooms. Fry for about a minute.
8. While waiting for the vegetables to saute, combine soy sauce and sugar. Mix with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
9. Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes.
10. Add the hoisin sauce, chili paste and then the scallions.
12. Serve over the noodles that were set aside. To assemble, spoon chicken and noodle mixture into lettuce cup. Wrap and enjoy.