2 packets of phyllo dough (Bulgarian “fini kori” or phyllo from the frozen desserts section)
200 grams of yellow cheese (Bulgarian kashkaval or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella), cut into small pieces
500 grams of white cheese (Bulgarian sirene or feta cheese)
100 grams of butter
1/2 cup of soda water
1 cup yoghurt
1. Mix six of the eggs, the grated butter, the crumbled white cheese, the yellow cheese, and the yoghurt.
2. In a buttered pan, lay a layer of the phyllo dough, spread a layer of the mixture, and continue alternating layers so that the phyllo and the mixture are finished about the same time. Finish with a layer of phyllo dough. Then cut the banitsa into serving pieces.
3. Mix the last egg with the soda water and stir. Pour the mixture over the banitsa and make sure there are no pieces of the phyllo dough left dry.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes, or till golden.
5. Can be served as a breakfast or in any other meal served with red wine.
* For Spinach Banitsa
-> Same as the regular banitsa recipe, but substitute 3 eggs with 1 pound of spinach, washed, cut and lightly fried, for about 2-3 minutes.
* For Green Onion Banitsa
-> Same as the regular banitsa recipe, but substitute 3 eggs with 1 cup of diced green onions, lightly fried, for about 5-6 minutes.